What’s involved when registering as a volunteer mentor?
Volunteer Mentors are integral to the success of each CoderDojo session. All it takes is a few hours of your time over a few Saturdays. If you’re bringing your child anyway, it’s even easier. Mentors should ideally possess:
- The willingness to create and deliver content passionately and interactively
- A desire to encourage kids to take an interest in coding
- An ability to think on your feet – kids can ask some very interesting and challenging questions.
Anyone can be a mentor. You don’t need to be an expert in coding – all you need is a passion for helping kids learn. If you have an interest in coding, technology and programming, that’s a bonus!
The mentors’ role is to:
- Guide and assist participants
- Let us know of any suitable and interesting guest speakers
- Provide feedback and input into format and content
- Spread the word to encourage others to become volunteer mentors.
Becoming a Lead Mentor
An opportunity exists for a volunteer Lead Mentor at each CoderDojo Brisbane site. The role of the Lead Mentor is to take the lead in:
- Ensuring the room is set up on the day of the session
- Facilitating the session: welcoming kids to seats, organising demonstrations from the kids throughout the session, announcing lunch breaks and concluding the sessions
- Driving the plan of attack ahead of each session: organising demonstrations to show the kids/the focus of the session
- Encouraging other mentors to facilitate and/or run demos during each session
- Keeping CoderDojo Brisbane in the loop
Learn more about some of our amazing mentors who have volunteered at previous CoderDojo Brisbane sessions.
If you’re interested in becoming a Lead Mentor at a particular CoderDojo Brisbane site, or if you’d just like to find out more, let us know here.