Important information for CoderDojo participants!
The CoderDojo term
- Each term runs for six weeks, with sessions held on Saturdays. Registration is only required once to attend all six sessions
- CoderDojo is a coding club. There is no set curriculum and children are encouraged to pursue whatever topics and programs interest them, however please note that this is not a time for participants to play games. This is a time to create projects.
- Every new ninja will receive a CoderDojo t-shirt. If your child has participated before, they are to wear their existing t-shirt unless they have outgrown it and need a new size. Please check in with your lead mentor if this is the case.
- Each ninja will receive a name badge. Please ensure it is returned at the end of each session
- All ninjas must have their own laptop
- Either Mac or PC is fine. Unfortunately iPads and tablets do not work with the programs we use
- While every effort is made, your ninja may not always have access to power, so please make sure they come with a fully charged battery
- Ninjas will be required to log in to council wi-fi. Instructions will be provided on the day
Coding programs- please download these prior to the first session
**Ensure the software in Step 1 and Step 2 of the above link are installed
- Visual Studio code:
- A parent/guardian must attend every session with their child and stay for the duration. This is non-negotiable.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to allow for time to set up and get connected to wi-fi
- Please ensure you sign in with a mentor (they will be wearing a blue shirt) at the start of every session to ensure your child is marked as present
- Please make sure you have subscribed to the CoderDojo website and are following us on Facebook and Twitter to receive the latest information. These channels are our primary method of communication with parents/guardians
- CoderDojo is a very popular program and we always have a long waitlist of eager kids. If your ninja misses two or more sessions, their place may be re-allocated
- Please email email@example.com if you know your ninja is going to miss a session
Brisbane City Council libraries have a huge range of resources available – make sure you come in early or stick around after your CoderDojo session to check out everything on offer. More information on the Brisbane City Council Libraries website here.